Friday, March 10, 2006



KO TAO

Once again I find myself having to explain the lack of updates on the blog - although besides the usual excuses of late nights etc. the internet connection on Ko Tao is currnelty being powered by an asthmatic hamster turning in his wheel - making e-mail challenging to say the least.

I actually spent 6 days on Ko Tao in the end, and although the place is famous for learning scuba diving qualifications (PADI) I actually found myself practicing my 'chilling skills' on a sunbed by the pool whilst my other new found friends took up their diving course.

This relatively inactive period on such a nice island had me thinking that there wouldn't be too much to write about, especially in the ways of my misfortune as often seems to be the theme of my entries.

So, whether subconsciously or not I managed to get myself involved in another stupid incident on my last day before leaving for Ko Phagnan and the full moon party.

Having completed their diving qualifications, the group of people I've been spending time with wanted to party it up on the island (1 party every night until 6am - no diving for me meant this wasn't my first visit!) and of course we did, with me and a couple of the group staying until the very end - messy to say the least!

The next day being our last it was decided that we should rent some scooters to get over the other side of the island where you can snorkle with sharks (the non biting kind of course).

So, feeling jaded from the previous nights antics we all take a walk to the moto rental place, do all the necessaries, exchanging money (and passports) for the bikes and we're just about ready to head off. Andrea (of tour de Cambodia fame) hops on the back as we need to head back to the hotel to pick up some forgotten stuff, so as calm as you like I give the throttle a squeeze and off we go.

My enthusiastic squeeze on the throttle sneds me across the little path next ot the shop where I discover that scooters don't like tunring on sand, sending me and Andrea onto the floor - literally 1 metre from the hire shop, and at the excessive speed of 2mph!!

Thankfully, for Andrea (and my conscience) apart from a bruiser she was fine, and I only escpaed with a minor scrape on the knee and foot, whioch of course had the rest of the group practically wetting themselves!

However, beside the comedy this did resultantly mean that my 150baht (2 pound) rental ended up costing me 4,150 naht for the incident to repair hairline scratched by assumngly F1 machanics given the cost.

So after sorting this out and others refusing to ride with me we went and snorkled with the sharks which was awesome, although the blood seeping from my knee and foot meant all the others were no exactly wanting to snorklet next to me and my trail of shark bait!!

So all in all a great time in Ko Tao, mainly due to the people I met - have met some awesome people on my trip so far and at the risk of sounding 'band camp' I have left these people nameless so far.

However, this was without doubt the largest group of like minded 'party enthusiasts' so will take you through the names on the pic - taken from our journey out of Ko Tao on possibly the most overloaded pick up truck in South East Asia!

From left to right: Lara, Myself, Andrea, Hadji, Tom, Jesper, Zoe, Chris, James. Other pics of the rest of the team to follow.


Our exit from Ko Tao now takes the entire group (and the rest of the Tour de Cambodia team - just as hardcore party people) to Ko Phagnan where the full moon party on the 14th awaits, so as they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Next update from Ko Phagnan after the party, providing I make it back!
Web Page Counters