Monday, February 27, 2006

BANGKOK (2nd visit)

So as already said in the previous post, the plan was (as this was visit 2 from at least 4) to get in and out (and shake it all about) as quickly as possible.

So, because of this there's not so much to report as one of my usual posts, but as I've posted at every place so far I thought I could come up with something worth mentioning.

My last stay in Bangkok was on the East outskirts of the city, and as it turns out this was a great deciusion (if not an accidental one) as the central backpacker district is filled with bars and shops, meaning that my entire trips budget would have been in jeopardy within the first week!

However, my Bangkok stay did also provide me with the opportunity to correct another failed mission in Cambodia - the spider!
As it turns out, the places I stayed at in Cambodia aren't in 'spider country' where they eat the little (or big!) critters, menaing that my random acts of weirdness / stupidity in Cambodia have been a complete failure.

This particular one has left me with the desire to eat something truly filthy, and with the lack of English doner kebabs (the filthiest of filthy food) meant that the 'bug man' who wheels his cart up and down Kaho San Rd was going to get a visit!

However, I must confess that at this stage my dish wasn't quite as hardcore as the spider. As always (!) my malaria medication left me feeling pretty sick (20 mins of pain everyday, is Malaria better?) so all I could handle was a smallish deep fried bug.

"No worries" I thought, "nice and tasty in a deep fried frog style"
First picture shows my misplaced confidence in the cooking techniques of small bugs, second pic shopws the gallon of beer I swigged afterwards after getting into the soft chewy centre of the little critter!! Just like one of those strawberry sweets you get in boxes of Roses chocolates. Grim.

Although it wasn't that unpleastant, just unepxected which is probably worse. However, in the absence of any 8 legged friends (enemies!) to eat I've decided to set a new goal...the new top of the nasty food chain is the humble Scorpion!!

Now is something that if I don't do I deserve the abuse that comes my way as these little critters are available from 'bug man' which means no excuses on availaibility! Damn.

So only the one night in Bangkok as planned sees me heading off to Koh Samui tomorrow where I am attempting to be a beach bum for a whole month. Not sure if boredom will set in before then but will give it a try.

I also have afew more rnadom trips planned 0n my route anyway as my circular tour of asia seems to have gone out of the window....next update could be from anywhere!

Until then...
Web Page Counters