Sunday, January 22, 2006






SAPA
Leaving Hanoi on a cold day (as I say, hit and miss weather) didn't bode to well for Sapa, which is further North and higher than Hanoi...so was preparing myself for Baltic conditions when getting on the night train.

First day here has been a bit nippy, nothing that bad that a beanie and jacket can't fix but have been a bit dissapointed by the fog that was everywhere!
It never really lifted on the first day of trekking so think my photos will have as much detail as if I'd have just taken a photo of my white table cloth instead!!

Other than that, it's still been good and although all the treks I've done so far involve stops at the local tribal villages, there are 5 different ethnic groups here which all adopt a paticular colour / style of dress which has been pretty good to see other than just knackered old western clothing they wore in Thailand / Laos.

Weather on the second day was pretty much as the first, although getting lower into the valleys meant the mist wasn't so heavy....not sure how that works but first 2 pics came out clearer than anything I could manage on the first day (last pic).
Also shown is myself and the group I went with...

Back to Hanoi this evening on the train so will update with more from there as I've not covered as much as I'd like before I move south....
Web Page Counters