Sunday, January 01, 2006

VANG VIENG

After a 6 hour bus journey south from LP is where I'm at now in Vang Vieng, this is a place I've been unsure about before arriving due to the fact that the place is supposed to be over run with bars showing Friends on loop to stoners all day.....that didn't disappoint (but did if you know what I mean). However, the weather here has been a lot better than anywhere else so far whilst not being too hot for a pasty milk bottle such as myself (30-33 degrees - nice!).
Aside from the bars the scenery here is awesome, and booked myself into a bungalow about 5 mins out of town by the edge of the river. Photos are of my less than 5 star bungalow, although given the view from the front door in the other pic I reckon I've done alright for 2.50 dollars a night!

Depsite the noises of canned laughter as you walk down the main drag at night the place does have a pretty good nightlife, with lots of chilled out bars and a few later night places that will stay open as long as you stay awake!
However, the chilled out atmosphere is perhaps something to do with all the 'happy' products that are on sale in every bar and restaurant. 'Happy' products contain brain bending ingredients such as Opium, Magic Mushrooms and regular old weed and can take the form of Pizzas, shakes, cakes...pretty much anything you can eat or drink!

Although for those still up for spending 2 days twitching with paranoia can buy a normal joint off the menu as well.... and as a few people seem to be reading this blog, and to defnd my excellent (??) reputation I can say that I haven't had anything of a menu that would bend ones brain....Beer Lao doesn't count though!

With the night activities sorted and great weather, the main activity of choice here is tubing. This basically you and an inner tube (you can see what they've done there) floating down the river, whilst getting pulled into one of the many bars along the 4-5 hour route for a beer or two, volleyball or mentally high rope swings. This is awesome fun, whether you want to play Ratan ( volleyball with your feet and a smaller ball and court) or just watch petrified people munching it into the water from 30 ft!

Have also had a go myself at the big swings and so far have managed to face plant most of them! However, no matter how painful the angle of entry into the water I've managed to maintain discipline to remain in 'bomb' position which seems to get a good laugh from the crowd!
Will be leaving here in a day or 2 I think to probably head to the Laos captial Vientiane, although am still undecided which direction I should go.

Until then, happy new year everyone and hope whatever you got up to was fun and the hangovers were worth it!
Web Page Counters