Wednesday, February 22, 2006




PHNOM PENH

After the great passport / visa debarcle I wasn't sure what to expect of the capital of Cambodia...dust tracks? Small huts?
As it turns out, although the outlying areas are what you would expect for somewhere like Cambodia, the actual centre of town was as developed and lively as anywhere I've been so far - which is pretty amazing really given the short amount of time you have to go back when the whole country was in ruins.

Although the area was more developed than my misconceptions, it appears that a special area of ghetto has been reserved for backpackers....tiny dusty and winding streets with every place being either a guest house, bar or restaurant - awesome!


Although I did enjoy the down to earth social scene when there (pic to prove it), it's difficult to be in too much of a party mood when you're surrounded by constant reminders of how far the country still has to come to repair the damage of the Khmer Rouge regime.

Aside from land mine victims and beggars on the street of all ages, the most obvious example of this is the visits made to the killing fields and S21 prsion which fetured heavily during the conflicts. I won't go into massive details as to what happened etc. as you can read up for yourself, but needless to say I defy anyone not to be moved by what there is to be seen there.

Photos attached aren't the prettiest I've put on the blog so far, but thought it best to show the good, bad and ugly as I see it over here.

Although you can't really escape any of the problems Cambodia currently has, my next stop is Siem Reap which I've been looking forward to since planning my trip (even when it as only supposed to be 6 weeks!) to see Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples.

So I may not be leaving Phnom Penh in my usual blur of late nights and random stories, but the sobering experience has been more than worth it, and is something that really needs to be seen if you find yourself anywhere close.

In typical style pics to be added soon, no internet troubles this time, just left my CD with them on in my room....will upload today once my brain is functioning!
Web Page Counters