Saturday, February 04, 2006

HOI AN

The lack of updates to the blog since my poor effort in Hue goes to show how good I'm finding Hoi An at the moment.
A dangerous combination of good bars and restaurants, cheap tailoring and the first beach I've seen on my trip so far has meant a financially painful time here, but worth the copious dong, hangovers and sunburn!!

It's also been quite a social scene here, with the majority of travellers (like myself) using the stop here to get some clothing made and have a good time in the bars (what else is there to do!?!) before the various fittings the next day.

Although, think I have enjoyed quite a lot of the latter, a clear indication coming to me last night when I introduced myself to a couple of people and was greeted with the response "are you the Ian I heard about the other night??"
Nothing too controversial by the way, just a bit of cheek and an incident or two recruiting people to a chosen late night venue to make for a better party than me going alone!

So several late nights, 3 suits, 9 shirts, 6 ties and 4 pairs of cufflinks later I think it's probably a good time to move on, as at my current rate of spending I will have got through more than the third world debt (or GM's debt!) by the end of next week!

Have another less than comfortable 12 hour bus trip to Nah Trang tomorrow, and have come to realise how spoiled I was with the luxury coaches in Laos...the buses here are just that, buses and nothing else...so as I haven't yet perfected the art of sleeping with my head rattling against a window or getting my head clattered by passers by in the aisle I don't think I'll arrive in Nah Trang full of enthusiasm!

However, Nah Trang looks like a nice beach town so will be a good chance to kick back on the beach for a few days and catch up with the people I've met here....the good thing about Vitenam is that the majority ofpeople are heading North to South (as I am) meaning you bump into familiar faces the whole way long -nice!

As always, pics to follow soon...
Web Page Counters