Wednesday, November 08, 2006


















NUTTER ENCLOSURES, DAVID COPPERFIELD AND THE WORST BBQ EVER

As the constant flow of SBE's from a personal perspective are dropping to almost 'average' levels, I'm in danger of having little misfortune or misadventure to report, so I thought I'd share some of the more significant occurrences in my 9 to 5 life of late, entertaining or not.

The shininess and newness of work has revealed itself to be the usual dull and old existence I remember it as, although perhaps I compare this unfairly with the experiences of this year so can't I be so harsh.

In truth, for all it's mundaneness and mediocrity, working life isn't so bad and the thankfully short ride in the 'bus shaped nutter enclosure' every morning passes with ease, although come winter time myself and the surrounding asylum escapists won't be quite so pleased.

Why is it that the bus is the favoured mode of transport for societies more 'unique' citizens? Even in England you can spot men with psychiatric patient sideburns (half way up their head) and people desperate to talk to the person next to them about anything and everything. Will leave that alone at the risk of prizing the can of worms open further.

Being in a tech industry I am slowly coming to terms with all the TLA's (three letter acronyms) meaning that only about 97% of all meetings sound like they're in Arabic...progress indeed.

On the social front, I am proud to announce that I was one of the co-hosts of Sydney worst BBQ party ever. One of my housemates (one of the Lizzie's) decided to celebrate her 26th consecutive year on the planet with a houseparty at our place with a BBQ, and on a Tuesday night.

Nice I thought, my first BBQ party of the year and at mine, no mazy walks home at stupid O' clock and I know where the bathrooms are, Tuesday night isn't so good but I'll take it easy and do some of the BBQ.

In our wisdom, given the lack of BBQ we purchased some large disposable type BBQ's to set up outside, given the fact that we didn't want to buy a big one for just one event and that they're easy peasy.....no prizes for guessing where this story goes!

So, cue everyone over the house and a few of the guys start to get these babies cooking, only to discover that they have all the ferocity and firepower of a tea light candle, leaving 5kg of beef burgers looking like mission impossible.

This is the point when any on looking guy within half a mile radius of said inferno suddenly becomes a pyro-technician (myself included), knowing instantly what the problem is and how to solve it with a lengthy and complicated plan that no one listens to. This repeated for about half an hour, involving walking around in crouched positions, smashing rocks together, picking things up and smelling them, and any other type of caveman behaviour that you can think of. Better get the oven going then.

Besides the complete shambles of the BBQ itself, the rest of the party more than made up for it, as testified to my sore head on the way to work Wednesday morning, and regaining full consciousness at some point that evening.

To continue the party theme, my recent business lunch also proved to be quite an amusing event, and another random one to chalk up. Friday lunchtime was a group lunch outing to celebrate a 10 year service for one of the team, which given the employee demographic is a newcomer.

Italian restaurant in a nice little complex, sounds all good. The good or bad thing I find about such work things is that there is an effort to steer the conversation off work topics,leaving it as the back up for shocking topics or uncomfortable silences.

Sadly, this back up is not always effective...when sat in the restaurant it became apparent by a colleagues fixation on the far wall that something was going on, and to turn my head I noticed there was a "David Copperfield 15 years of magic" DVD playing on loop. A bit strange for an Italian restaurant I thought, but whatever.

David has a lot to answer for now I think, as my colleagues fixation and energy was now absorbed into trying to convince me how great he was, and how I should get a copy of this DVD as they so wisely had years previous.

This then progressed into the next hour of my life, nodding politely at the orange god of illusion, occasionally broken up with some business talk. It all basically culminated in said person trying to give me procurement advice whilst simultaneously explaining that David Copperfield can fly without the need for any wires!!!

You know you are in a strange place when someone whilst someone attempts to steer you on the more technical aspects of your career, whilst retaining beliefs that most 6 year olds barely cling to! Names have been concealed to protect the guilty.

On the more positive side, I have made one of the discoveries of all time (all time in Oz so far anyway) in that on an accidental all dayer last Saturday, I accidentally discovered a bottlo (off license to those who prefer to use whole English words as I do) that sells Beer Lao. It has to be purchased there and then.

Not much of a big deal to those reading this perhaps, but to me and my appreciation of such a fine beverage (and it's limited supply) this was big news indeed. Pictures enclosed of me going 'old school' and enjoying some in the park sat on a bench. With my outdoor surroundings it almost felt like I was 15, urm 18 again.

I will try to get some in my case for those who want to try it upon my brief return to UK next month. That may a serious blog entry of amusing events, I hope so!

More things to come before my grand voyage, including details of that itself....until then.
Pics attched of me sticking to to the Aussies street cricket style, from my recent trip to the coast south of Sydney. Also notice my beer by the stumps - not a single activity here is done with a beer close at hand. Awesome. On the subject of alcohol a pic is also enclosed of the finest wine I think I have ever had the pleasure oof consuming...all in the branding I reckon.

PS - Doesn't it get ever so warm this time of year?
Web Page Counters